Pronunciation: ( jum'pur),[key] —n. 1. a person or thing that jumps.
2. Basketball.See jump shot. 3. Sports.a participant in a jumping event, as in track or skiing.
4. Manège.a horse specially trained to jump obstacles.
5. a boring tool or device worked with a jumping motion.
6. Also called jump wire.Elect.a short length of conductor used to make a connection, usually temporary, between terminals of a circuit or to bypass a circuit.
7. Also called jump'er ca"ble. See booster cable. 8. a kind of sled.
9. Also called jump'er stay".Naut.a line preventing the end of a spar or boom from being lifted out of place.
10. any of various fishes that leap from the water, as the striped mullet or jumprock.
Pronunciation: ( jum'pur),[key] —n. 1. a one-piece, sleeveless dress, or a skirt with straps and a complete or partial bodice, usually worn over a blouse by women and children.
2. a loose outer jacket worn esp. by workers and sailors.
3. Brit.a pullover sweater.