Pronunciation: (kis),[key] —v.t. 1. to touch or press with the lips slightly pursed, and then often to part them and to emit a smacking sound, in an expression of affection, love, greeting, reverence, etc.: He kissed his son on the cheek. 2. to join lips with in this way: She kissed him and left. 3. to touch gently or lightly: The breeze kissed her face. 4. to put, bring, take, etc., by, or as if by, kissing: She kissed the baby's tears away. 5. Billiards,Pool.(of a ball) to make slight contact with or brush (another ball).
—v.i. 1. to join lips in respect, affection, love, passion, etc.: They kissed passionately. 2. to express a thought, feeling, etc., by a contact of the lips: They kissed good-bye at the station. 3. to purse and then part the lips, emitting a smacking sound, as in kissing someone.
4. Billiards,Pool.(of a ball) to carom gently off or touch another ball.
5. kiss ass,Slang(vulgar). to be obsequious; fawn.
6. kiss off,Slang. a. to reject, dismiss, or ignore: He kissed off their objections with a wave of his hand. b. (used to express contemptuous rejection or dismissal).
c. to give up, renounce, or dispense with: Leaving Tulsa meant kissing off a promising job.
—n. 1. an act or instance of kissing.
2. a slight touch or contact.
3. Billiards,Pool.the slight touch of one ball by another.
4. a baked confection of egg whites and confectioners' sugar, served as a cookie.
5. a piece of toffeelike confectionery, sometimes containing nuts, coconut, or the like.
6. a small, sometimes conical, bite-size piece of chocolate, usually individually wrapped.
7. blow or throw a kiss, to indicate an intended kiss from a distance, usually in bidding farewell, by kissing one's own fingertips and moving the hand toward the person greeted.
Pronunciation: (kis),[key] keep it simple, stupid.