Pronunciation: (el),[key] —n., —pl.L's or Ls, l's or ls. 1. the 12th letter of the English alphabet, a consonant.
2. any spoken sound represented by the letter L or l, as in let, dull, cradle. 3. something having the shape of an L. 4. a written or printed representation of the letter L or l. 5. a device, as a printer's type, for reproducing the letter L or l.
Pronunciation: (el),[key] —n., —pl.L's or Ls.Informal. an elevated railroad.
Pronunciation: (el),[key] —n., —pl.L's or Ls. ell1.
1. lambert; lamberts.
7. Brit.pound; pounds. [< L lībra]
8. long: denoting a size longer than regular, esp. for suits and coats made for tall men: 40L. 9. longitude.
10. Theat.stage left.
—Symbol. 1. the 12th in order or in a series, or, if I is omitted, the 11th.
2. (sometimes l.c.) the Roman numeral for 50. Cf. Roman numerals. 3. Elect.inductance.
4. Physics.See kinetic potential. 5. Biochem.leucine.
6. Econ.a broad measure of total U.S. liquid assets, issued periodically by the Federal Reserve Board. Cf. M.
2. liter; liters.
—Symbol,Optics,Chem.,Biochem. levorotatory; levo- (distinguished from d-). Cf. l-.
—Symbol,Biochem. (of a molecule) having a configuration resembling the levorotatory isomer of glyceraldehyde: printed as a small capital, roman character (disting. from d-). Cf. l-.
2. U.S. Mil.(in designations of light aircraft) liaison: L-15.