Pronunciation: (lap'i-der"ē), [key]
—n., pl. -dar•ies,
1. Also,lap•i•distPronunciation: (lap'i•dist). [key]a worker who cuts, polishes, and engraves precious stones.
2. Also,la•pid•ar•istPronunciation: (lu-pid'ur-ist). [key]an expert in precious stones and the art or techniques used in cutting and engraving them.
3. the art of cutting, polishing, and engraving precious stones.
4. an old book on the lore of gems.
—adj. Also,lap•i•dar•i•anPronunciation: (lap"i-dâr'ē-un). [key]
1. of or pertaining to the cutting or engraving of precious stones.
2. characterized by an exactitude and extreme refinement that suggests gem cutting: a lapidary style; lapidary verse.
3. of, pertaining to, or suggestive of inscriptions on stone monuments.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.