Pronunciation: (lā'ur),[key] —n. 1. a thickness of some material laid on or spread over a surface: a layer of soot on the window sill; two layers of paint. 2. bed; stratum: alternating layers of basalt and sandstone. 3. a person or thing that lays: a carpet layer. 4. a hen kept for egg production.
5. one of several items of clothing worn one on top of the other.
6. Hort. a. a shoot or twig that is induced to root while still attached to the living stock, as by bending and covering with soil.
b. a plant so propagated.
7. Ropemaking.a machine for laying rope or cable.
—v.t. 1. to make a layer of.
2. to form or arrange in layers.
3. to arrange or wear (clothing) in layers: You can layer this vest over a blouse or sweater. 4. Hort.to propagate by layering.
—v.i. 1. to separate into or form layers.
2. (of a garment) to permit of wearing in layers; be used in layering: Frilly blouses don't layer well.