—n. 1. a relatively narrow, projecting part, as a horizontal, shelflike projection on a wall or a raised edge on a tray.
2. a more or less flat shelf of rock protruding from a cliff or slope.
3. a reef, ridge, or line of rocks in the sea or other body of water.
4. Mining. a. a layer or mass of rock underground.
b. a lode or vein.
5. Carpentry.a member similar to but larger than a cleat.
6. Shipbuilding.a minor transverse deck beam running between regular deck beams to form part of a coaming.
—v.t. to assemble (a door or the like) with ledges.