Pronunciation: (lē'gul),[key] —adj. 1. permitted by law; lawful: Such acts are not legal. 2. of or pertaining to law; connected with the law or its administration: the legal profession. 3. appointed, established, or authorized by law; deriving authority from law.
4. recognized by law rather than by equity.
5. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the profession of law or of lawyers: a legal mind. 6. Theol. a. of or pertaining to the Mosaic Law.
b. of or pertaining to the doctrine that salvation is gained by good works rather than through free grace.
—n. 1. a person who acts in a legal manner or with legal authority.
2. an alien who has entered a country legally.
3. a person whose status is protected by law.
4. a fish or game animal, within specified size or weight limitations, that the law allows to be caught and kept during an appropriate season.
5. a foreigner who conducts espionage against a host country while working there in a legitimate capacity, often in the diplomatic service.
6. legals,authorized investments that may be made by fiduciaries, as savings banks or trustees.