Pronunciation: (lej'und),[key] —n. 1. a nonhistorical or unverifiable story handed down by tradition from earlier times and popularly accepted as historical.
2. the body of stories of this kind, esp. as they relate to a particular people, group, or clan: the winning of the West in American legend. 3. an inscription, esp. on a coat of arms, on a monument, under a picture, or the like.
4. a table on a map, chart, or the like, listing and explaining the symbols used. Cf. key1 (def. 8).
5. Numis.inscription (def. 8).
6. a collection of stories about an admirable person.
7. a person who is the center of such stories: She became a legend in her own lifetime. 8. Archaic.a story of the life of a saint, esp. one stressing the miraculous or unrecorded deeds of the saint.
9. Obs.a collection of such stories or stories like them.