Pronunciation: (lep'urd),[key] —n. 1. a large, spotted Asian or African carnivore, Panthera pardus, of the cat family, usually tawny with black markings; the Old World panther: all leopard populations are threatened or endangered.
2. the fur or pelt of this animal.
3. any of various related cats resembling this animal.
4. Heraldry.a lion represented from the side as walking, usually with one forepaw raised, and looking toward the spectator.
5. Numis. a. an Anglo-Gallic gold coin issued by Edward III, equal to half a florin, bearing the figure of a leopard.
b. a silver Anglo-Gallic coin issued by Henry V.
6. (cap.) Mil.a 42-ton (38-m ton) West German tank with a 105mm gun.