Pronunciation: (liz'urd),[key] —n. 1. any of numerous scaly reptiles of the suborder Sauria, order Squamata, typically having a moderately elongate body, a tapering tail, and two pairs of legs held outward from the body, comprising mostly terrestrial and burrowing species.
2. any of various reptiles resembling a lizard, as a dinosaur or crocodile.
3. leather made from the skin of the lizard, used for shoes, purses, etc.
4. (cap.) Astron.the constellation Lacerta.
5. See lounge lizard. 6. Naut.a pennant used as a leader for running rigging, having a thimble or bull's-eye.
7. The Lizard.See Lizard Head.