Pronunciation: (lō'kul),[key] —adj. 1. pertaining to or characterized by place or position in space; spatial.
2. pertaining to, characteristic of, or restricted to a particular place or particular places: a local custom. 3. pertaining to a city, town, or small district rather than an entire state or country: local transportation. 4. stopping at most or all stations: a local train. 5. pertaining to or affecting a particular part or particular parts, as of a physical system or organism: a local disease. 6. Med.(of anesthesia or an anesthetic) affecting only a particular part or area of the body, without concomitant loss of consciousness, as distinguished from general anesthesia.
—n. 1. a local train, bus, etc.
2. a newspaper item of local interest.
3. a local branch of a union, fraternity, etc.
4. a local anesthetic.
5. Often, locals. a. a local person or resident: primarily of interest to locals. b. a local athletic team: the locals versus the state champions. 6. stamp (def. 22).
7. Brit. Informal.a neighborhood pub.
—v.i. Informal.to travel by or take a local train or the like.