—v.t. 1. to cut off (branches, twigs, etc.) from a tree or other plant.
2. to cut off (a limb, part, or the like) from a person, animal, etc.
3. to cut off the branches, twigs, etc., of (a tree or other plant).
4. to eliminate as unnecessary or excessive: We had to lop off whole pages of the report before presenting it to the committee. 5. Archaic.to cut off the head, limbs, etc., of (a person).
—v.i. 1. to cut off branches, twigs, etc., as of a tree.
2. to remove parts by or as by cutting.
—n. 1. parts or a part lopped off.
2. (of trees) the smaller branches and twigs not useful as timber.