Pronunciation: (lō'ul),[key] —n. 1. Ab•bott Lawrence Pronunciation: (ab'ut),[key] 1856–1943, political scientist and educator: president of Harvard University 1909–33.
2. his sister,Amy, 1874–1925, U.S. poet and critic.
3. James Russell, 1819–91, U.S. poet, essayist, and diplomat.
4. Percival, 1855–1916, U.S. astronomer and author (brother of Abbott Lawrence Lowell and Amy Lowell).
5. Robert, 1917–77, U.S. poet.
6. a city in NE Massachusetts, on the Merrimack River. 92,418.
7. a male given name: from a Germanic word meaning “little wolf.”