Pronunciation: (mād'n),[key] —n. 1. a girl or young unmarried woman; maid.
2. a horse that has never won a race.
3. a race open only to maiden horses.
4. an instrument resembling the guillotine, formerly used in Scotland for beheading criminals.
5. Cricket.See maiden over.
—adj. 1. of, pertaining to, or befitting a girl or unmarried woman.
2. (of a woman) unmarried: my maiden aunt. 3. made, tried, appearing, etc., for the first time: a maiden flight. 4. virgin.
5. (of a horse) never having won a race or a prize.
6. (of a prize or a race) offered for or open only to maiden horses.
7. untried, as a knight, soldier, or weapon.