—n. 1. an adult male person, as distinguished from a boy or a woman.
2. a member of the species Homo sapiens or all the members of this species collectively, without regard to sex: prehistoric man. 3. the human individual as representing the species, without reference to sex; the human race; humankind: Man hopes for peace, but prepares for war. 4. a human being; person: to give a man a chance; When the audience smelled the smoke, it was every man for himself. 5. a husband.
6. a male lover or sweetheart.
7. a male follower or subordinate: the king's men. He's the boss's number one man. 8. a male employee or representative, esp. of a company or agency: a Secret Service man; a man from the phone company. 9. a male having qualities considered typical of men or appropriately masculine: Be a man. The army will make a man of you. 10. a male servant.
11. a valet.
12. See enlisted man. 13. an enthusiast or devotee: I like jazz, but I'm essentially a classics man. 14. Slang.male friend; ally: You're my main man. 15. a term of familiar address to a man; fellow: Now, now, my good man, please calm down. 16. Slang.a term of familiar address to a man or a woman: Hey, man, take it easy. 17. one of the pieces used in playing certain games, as chess or checkers.
18. Hist.a liegeman; vassal.
19. Obs.manly character or courage.
20. as one man, in complete agreement or accord; unanimously: They arose as one man to protest the verdict. 21. be one's own man, a. to be free from restrictions, control, or dictatorial influence; be independent: Now that he has a business he is his own man. b. to be in complete command of one's faculties: After a refreshing nap he was again his own man. 22. man and boy, ever since childhood: He's been working that farm, man and boy, for more than 50 years. 23. the man,Slang. a. a person or group asserting authority or power over another, esp. in a manner experienced as being oppressive, demeaning, or threatening, as an employer, the police, or a dominating racial group.
b. a person or group upon whom one is dependent, as the drug supplier for an addict. Also,the Man. 24. to a man, with no exception; everyone; all: To a man, the members of the team did their best.
—v.t. 1. to furnish with men, as for service or defense.
2. to take one's place for service, as at a gun or post: to man the ramparts. 3. to strengthen, fortify, or brace; steel: to man oneself for the dangers ahead. 4. Falconry.to accustom (a hawk) to the presence of men.
—interj. Slang.an expression of surprise, enthusiasm, dismay, or other strong feeling: Man, what a ball game!