Pronunciation: (mär'kur),[key] —n. 1. a person or thing that marks.
2. something used as a mark or indication, as a bookmark or tombstone.
3. a person who records the scores, points, etc., as in a game or contest.
4. a counter used in card playing.
5. Genetics.See genetic marker. 6. Psychol.an object, as a book or topcoat left at a library table, used to establish territorial possession in a public place.
7. Ling. a. an element of a construction, as a coordinating conjunction, that is not a part of either immediate constituent.
b. an element that indicates the grammatical class or function of a construction.
8. a small radio beacon, automatically operated, used for local navigation of vessels.
10. Also called mark'er pen", marking pen. a pen designed for making bold, colorful, or indelible marks, as in making signs or identifying objects.
11. Slang. a. a debt, esp. a gambling debt.
b. a written or signed promise to pay a debt, esp. a gambling debt; a promissory note or IOU.
12. Also called mark'er crude'.Com.a grade of oil on which prices of other crude oils are based.
13. CB Radio Slang.one's location while driving on a highway, as determined by the nearest milepost.