Pronunciation: (mend),[key] —v.t. 1. to make (something broken, worn, torn, or otherwise damaged) whole, sound, or usable by repairing: to mend old clothes; to mend a broken toy. 2. to remove or correct defects or errors in.
3. to set right; make better; improve: to mend matters.
—v.i. 1. to progress toward recovery, as a sick person.
2. (of broken bones) to grow back together; knit.
3. to improve, as conditions or affairs.
4. mend sail,Naut.to refurl sails that have been badly furled. Also,mend the furl.
—n. 1. the act of mending; repair or improvement.
2. a mended place.
3. on the mend, a. recovering from an illness.
b. improving in general, as a state of affairs: The breach between father and son is on the mend.