Pronunciation: (me"tru-pol'i-tn),[key] —adj. 1. of, noting, or characteristic of a metropolis or its inhabitants, esp. in culture, sophistication, or in accepting and combining a wide variety of people, ideas, etc.
2. of or pertaining to a large city, its surrounding suburbs, and other neighboring communities: the New York metropolitan area. 3. pertaining to or constituting a mother country.
4. pertaining to an ecclesiastical metropolis.
—n. 1. an inhabitant of a metropolis.
2. a person who has the sophistication, fashionable taste, or other habits and manners associated with those who live in a metropolis.
3. Eastern Ch.the head of an ecclesiastical province.
4. an archbishop in the Church of England.
5. Rom. Cath. Ch.an archbishop who has authority over one or more suffragan sees.
6. (in ancient Greece) a citizen of the mother city or parent state of a colony.