Pronunciation: (mīn),[key] —pron. 1. a form of the possessive case of I used as a predicate adjective: The yellow sweater is mine. 2. something that belongs to me: Mine is the red car. 3. Archaic.my (used before a word beginning with a vowel or a silent h, or following a noun): mine eyes; lady mine.
—n. 1. an excavation made in the earth for the purpose of extracting ores, coal, precious stones, etc.
2. a place where such minerals may be obtained, either by excavation or by washing the soil.
3. a natural deposit of such minerals.
4. an abundant source; store: a mine of information. 5. a device containing a charge of explosive in a watertight casing, floating on or moored beneath the surface of the water for the purpose of blowing up an enemy ship that strikes it or passes close by it.
6. a similar device used on land against personnel or vehicles; land mine.
7. a subterranean passage made to extend under an enemy's works or position, as for the purpose of securing access or of depositing explosives for blowing up a military position.
8. a passageway in the parenchyma of a leaf, made by certain insects.
—v.i. 1. to dig in the earth for the purpose of extracting ores, coal, etc.; make a mine.
2. to extract coal, ore, or the like, from a mine.
3. to make subterranean passages.
4. to place or lay mines, as in military or naval operations.
—v.t. 1. to dig in (earth, rock, etc.) in order to obtain ores, coal, etc.
2. to extract (ore, coal, etc.) from a mine.
3. to avail oneself of or draw useful or valuable material from: to mine every reference book available in writing the term paper. 4. to use, esp. a natural resource: to mine the nation's forests. 5. to make subterranean passages in or under; burrow.
6. to make (passages, tunnels, etc.) by digging or burrowing.
7. to dig away or remove the foundations of.
8. to place or lay military or naval mines under: to mine an enemy supply road. 9. Agric.to grow crops in (soil) over an extended time without fertilizing.
10. to remove (a natural resource) from its source without attempting to replenish it.