Pronunciation: (min'u-strē),[key] —n., —pl.-tries. 1. the service, functions, or profession of a minister of religion.
2. the body or class of ministers of religion; clergy.
3. the service, function, or office of a minister of state.
4. the body of ministers of state.
5. (usually cap.) any of the administrative governmental departments of certain countries usually under the direction of a minister of state.
6. (usually cap.) the building that houses such an administrative department.
7. the term of office of a minister of state.
8. an act or instance of ministering; ministration; service.
9. something that serves as an agency, instrument, or means.