—n. 1. a disorderly or riotous crowd of people.
2. a crowd bent on or engaged in lawless violence.
3. any group or collection of persons or things.
4. the common people; the masses; populace or multitude.
5. a criminal gang, esp. one involved in drug trafficking, extortion, etc.
6. the Mob, Mafia (def. 1).
7. Sociol.a group of persons stimulating one another to excitement and losing ordinary rational control over their activity.
8. a flock, herd, or drove of animals: a mob of sheep.
—adj. 1. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a lawless, irrational, disorderly, or riotous crowd: mob rule; mob instincts. 2. directed at or reflecting the lowest intellectual level of the common people: mob appeal; the mob mentality.
—v.t. 1. to crowd around noisily, as from curiosity or hostility: Spectators mobbed the courtroom. 2. to attack in a riotous mob: The crowd mobbed the consulate. 3. Fox Hunting.to chop (a fox).