Pronunciation: (mon'u-tōn"),[key] —n. 1. a vocal utterance or series of speech sounds in one unvaried tone.
2. a single tone without harmony or variation in pitch.
3. recitation or singing of words in such a tone.
4. a person who is unable to discriminate between or to reproduce differences in musical pitch, esp. in singing.
5. sameness of tone or color, sometimes to a boring degree.
—adj. 1. monotonous.
2. consisting of or characterized by a uniform tone of one color: a monotone drape. Cf. monochromatic (defs. 1, 2).
3. Math.monotonic (def. 2).