Pronunciation: (nar'u-tiv), [key]
1. a story or account of events, experiences, or the like, whether true or fictitious.
2. a book, literary work, etc., containing such a story.
3. the art, technique, or process of narrating: Somerset Maugham was a master of narrative.
1. consisting of or being a narrative: a narrative poem.
2. of or pertaining to narration: narrative skill.
3. Fine Arts.representing stories or events pictorially or sculpturally: narrative painting. Cf. anecdotal (def. 2).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.