—v.t. 1. to confer upon (an alien) the rights and privileges of a citizen.
2. to introduce (organisms) into a region and cause them to flourish as if native.
3. to introduce or adopt (foreign practices, words, etc.) into a country or into general use: to naturalize a French phrase. 4. to bring into conformity with nature.
5. to regard or explain as natural rather than supernatural: to naturalize miracles. 6. to adapt or accustom to a place or to new surroundings.
—v.i. 1. to become naturalized.
2. to adapt as if native to a new environment, set of circumstances, etc.
3. to study or carry on research in natural history. Also,esp. Brit.,nat'u•ral•ise".