—adj. 1. distinguished by rank or title.
2. pertaining to persons so distinguished.
3. of, belonging to, or constituting a hereditary class that has special social or political status in a country or state; of or pertaining to the aristocracy.
4. of an exalted moral or mental character or excellence; lofty: a noble thought. 5. admirable in dignity of conception, manner of expression, execution, or composition: a noble poem. 6. very impressive or imposing in appearance; stately; magnificent: a noble monument. 7. of an admirably high quality; notably superior; excellent.
8. famous; illustrious; renowned.
9. Chem.inert; chemically inactive.
10. Falconry.(of a hawk) having excellent qualities or abilities.
—n. 1. a person of noble birth or rank; nobleman or noblewoman.
2. a former gold coin of England, first issued in 1346 by Edward III, equal to half a mark or 6s. 8d., replaced in 1464 under Edward IV by the rose noble.
3. (in Britain) a peer.