Pronunciation: (nōd),[key] —n. 1. a knot, protuberance, or knob.
2. a centering point of component parts.
3. Anat.a knotlike mass of tissue: lymph node. 4. Pathol.circumscribed swelling.
5. Bot. a. a joint in a stem.
b. a part of a stem that normally bears a leaf.
6. Math.knot (def. 12).
7. Geom.a point on a curve or surface at which there can be more than one tangent line or tangent plane.
8. Physics.a point, line, or region in a standing wave at which there is relatively little or no vibration.
9. Astron.either of the two points at which the orbit of a heavenly body intersects a given plane, esp. the plane of the ecliptic or of the celestial equator. Cf. ascending node, descending node. 10. Ling.an element of a tree diagram that represents a constituent of a linguistic construction.
11. Optics.See nodal point. 12. Engin.See panel point. 13. nodus.