Pronunciation: (nôr'&thslash;urn),[key] —adj. 1. lying toward or situated in the north.
2. directed or proceeding northward.
3. coming from the north, as a wind.
4. (often cap.) of or pertaining to the North, esp. the northern U.S.
5. Astron.north of the celestial equator or of the zodiac: a northern constellation.
—n. 1. a person living in a northern region or country.
2. (cap.) a steam locomotive having a four-wheeled front truck, eight driving wheels, and a four-wheeled rear truck. See table under Whyte classification.