Pronunciation: (ō-pāk'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/opaque.html on line 75 [key]
—adj., n., v., o•paqued, o•paqu•ing.
1. not transparent or translucent; impenetrable to light; not allowing light to pass through.
2. not transmitting radiation, sound, heat, etc.
3. not shining or bright; dark; dull.
4. hard to understand; not clear or lucid; obscure: The problem remains opaque despite explanations.
5. dull, stupid, or unintelligent.
1. something that is opaque.
2. Photog.a coloring matter, usually black or red, used to render part of a negative opaque.
1. Photog.to cover up blemishes on (a negative), esp. for making a printing plate.
2. to cause to become opaque.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.