Pronunciation: (ot'u-wu), [key]
—pl. -was, (esp. collectively) -wa for 5.
1. a city in and the capital of Canada, in SE Ontario. 304,462.
2. a river in SE Canada, flowing SE along the boundary between Ontario and Quebec into the St. Lawrence at Montreal. 685 mi. (1105 km) long.
3. a city in NE Illinois, SW of Chicago. 18,166.
4. a town in E Kansas. 11,016.
5. a member of a tribe of Algonquian Indians of Canada, forced into the Lake Superior and Lake Michigan regions by the Iroquois confederacy.
6. the Ojibwa language as used by the Ottawa Indians.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.