—v.t. 1. to depose, as from a position of power; overcome, defeat, or vanquish: to overthrow a tyrant. 2. to put an end to by force, as a government or institution.
3. to throw or knock down; overturn; topple: The heavy winds overthrew numerous telephone poles and trees. 4. to knock down and demolish.
5. to throw (something) too far.
6. Baseball.(of a pitcher) to throw too hard, often affecting control or straining the arm.
7. Archaic.to destroy the sound condition of (the mind).
—v.i. to throw too far: If I hadn't overthrown, it would have been a sure putout.
—n. 1. the act of overthrowing; state or condition of being overthrown.
2. deposition from power.
3. defeat; destruction; ruin.