—n. 1. a cushionlike mass of soft material used for comfort, protection, or stuffing.
2. a soft, stuffed cushion used as a saddle; a padded leather saddle without a tree.
3. a number of sheets of paper glued or otherwise held together at one edge to form a tablet.
4. a soft, ink-soaked block of absorbent material for inking a rubber stamp.
5. Anat.,Zool. any fleshy mass of tissue that cushions a weight-bearing part of the body, as on the underside of a paw. See diag. under dog. 6. the foot, as of a fox, hare, or wolf.
7. a piece or fold of gauze or other absorbent material for use as a surgical dressing or a protective covering.
8. Zool. a pulvillus, as on the tarsus or foot of an insect.
9. a lily pad.
10. Rocketry.See launch pad. 11. Slang. a. one's living quarters, as an apartment or room.
b. one's bed.
c. a room where people gather to take narcotics; an addicts' den.
12. Slang. a. money paid as a bribe to and shared among police officers, as for ignoring law violations.
b. a list of police officers receiving such money.
13. Elect. a nonadjustable attenuator consisting of a network of fixed resistors.
14. Shipbuilding. a. a metal plate riveted or welded to a surface as a base or attachment for bolts, hooks, eyes, etc.
b. a piece of wood laid on the back of a deck beam to give the deck surface a desired amount of camber.
15. Carpentry. a. a handle for holding various small, interchangeable saw blades.
b. Also,pod.a socket in a brace for a bit.
16. Metall. a raised surface on a casting.
17. a small deposit of weld metal, as for building up a worn surface.
18. on the pad,Slang.(of a police officer) receiving a bribe, esp. on a regular basis.
—v.t. 1. to furnish, protect, fill out, or stuff with a pad or padding.
2. to expand or add to unnecessarily or dishonestly: to pad a speech; to pad an expense account. 3. Metall.to add metal to (a casting) above its required dimensions, to insure the flow of enough metal to all parts.