Pronunciation: (pān),[key] —n. 1. physical suffering or distress, as due to injury, illness, etc.
2. a distressing sensation in a particular part of the body: a back pain. 3. mental or emotional suffering or torment: I am sorry my news causes you such pain. 4. pains, a. laborious or careful efforts; assiduous care: Great pains have been taken to repair the engine perfectly. b. the suffering of childbirth.
5. Informal.an annoying or troublesome person or thing.
6. feel no pain,Informal.to be intoxicated: After all that free beer, we were feeling no pain. 7. on, upon, or under pain of, liable to the penalty of: on pain of death. 8. pain in the ass,Slang(vulgar). pain (def. 5).
9. pain in the neck,Informal.pain (def. 5).
—v.t. 1. to cause physical pain to; hurt.
2. to cause (someone) mental or emotional pain; distress: Your sarcasm pained me.