Pronunciation: (pānt),[key] —n. 1. a substance composed of solid coloring matter suspended in a liquid medium and applied as a protective or decorative coating to various surfaces, or to canvas or other materials in producing a work of art.
2. an application of this.
3. the dried surface pigment: Don't scuff the paint. 4. the solid coloring matter alone; pigment.
5. facial cosmetics, esp. lipstick, rouge, etc., designed to heighten natural color.
6. Chiefly Western U.S.a pied, calico, or spotted horse or pony; pinto.
—v.t. 1. to coat, cover, or decorate (something) with paint: to paint a fence. 2. to produce (a picture, design, etc.) in paint: to paint a portrait. 3. to represent in paint, as in oils, tempera, or watercolor: to paint an actress as the Muse of tragedy. 4. to depict as if by painting; describe vividly in words: The ads painted the resort as a winter wonderland. 5. to color by or as if by painting: Sunset painted the clouds pink. 6. to apply a substance to, as a liquid medicine or a cosmetic: to paint a cut with iodine.
—v.i. 1. to coat or cover anything with paint.
2. to engage in painting as an art: She has begun to paint in her spare time. 3. to put on or use facial cosmetics.
4. paint the town red,Informal.to celebrate boisterously, esp. by making a round of stops at bars and nightclubs. Also,paint the town.