—n. 1. a small, low, portable platform on which goods are placed for storage or moving, as in a warehouse or vehicle.
2. a flat board or metal plate used to support ceramic articles during drying.
3. Horol. a. a lever with three projections, two of which intermittently lock and receive impulses from the escape wheel and one which transmits these impulses to the balance.
b. either of the two projections of this lever that engage and release the escape wheel. See diag. under lever escapement. 4. a painter's palette.
5. (on a pawl) a lip or projection that engages with the teeth of a ratchet wheel.
7. (in gilding) an instrument used to take up the gold leaves from the pillow and to apply and extend them.
8. a shaping tool used by potters and consisting of a flat blade or plate with a handle at one end.
9. Bookbinding. a. a tool for decorating the spine of a book.
b. the stamping of the name of the binder on the inside covers of a book.