Pronunciation: (pant),[key] —v.i. 1. to breathe hard and quickly, as after exertion.
2. to gasp, as for air.
3. to long with breathless or intense eagerness; yearn: to pant for revenge. 4. to throb or heave violently or rapidly; palpitate.
5. to emit steam or the like in loud puffs.
6. Naut.(of the bow or stern of a ship) to work with the shock of contact with a succession of waves. Cf. work (def. 30).
—v.t. to breathe or utter gaspingly.
—n. 1. the act of panting.
2. a short, quick, labored effort at breathing; gasp.
3. a puff, as of an engine.
4. a throb or heave, as of the breast.
Pronunciation: (pant),[key] —adj. of or pertaining to pants: pant cuffs.