Pronunciation: (par'u-dīs", -dīz"),[key] —n. 1. heaven, as the final abode of the righteous.
2. an intermediate place for the departed souls of the righteous awaiting resurrection.
3. (often cap.) Eden (def. 1).
4. a place of extreme beauty, delight, or happiness.
5. a state of supreme happiness; bliss.
6. Archit. a. parvis.
b. an enclosure beside a church, as an atrium or cloister.
7. (cap., italics) Italian, Pa•ra•di•soPronunciation: (pä"rä-dē'zô).[key]the third and concluding part of Dante's Divine Comedy, depicting heaven, through which he is guided by Beatrice. Cf. inferno (def. 3), purgatory (def. 2).
Pronunciation: (par'u-dīs", -dīz"),[key] —n. a town in N California. 22,571.