Pronunciation: (pär'ting),[key] —n. 1. the act of a person or thing that parts.
2. a division or separation.
3. a place of division or separation.
4. a departure or leave-taking.
6. something that serves to part or separate things.
7. Mineral.a fracture of a crystal along a plane determined by twinning or pressure rather than along a cleavage plane.
8. Metall.See parting line.
—adj. 1. given, happening, taken, done, etc., at parting: a parting glance. 2. of or pertaining to parting, leave-taking, departure, or death: parting words. 3. ending or taking leave: the parting day. 4. dying.
5. dividing or separating.