Pronunciation: (pas'tur-ul, pä'stur-),[key] —adj. 1. having the simplicity, charm, serenity, or other characteristics generally attributed to rural areas: pastoral scenery; the pastoral life. 2. pertaining to the country or to life in the country; rural; rustic.
3. portraying or suggesting idyllically the life of shepherds or of the country, as a work of literature, art, or music: pastoral poetry; a pastoral symphony. 4. of, pertaining to, or consisting of shepherds.
5. of or pertaining to a pastor or the duties of a pastor: pastoral visits to a hospital. 6. used for pasture, as land.
—n. 1. a poem, play, or the like, dealing with the life of shepherds, commonly in a conventional or artificial manner, or with simple rural life generally; a bucolic.
2. a picture or work of art representing the shepherds' life.
4. a treatise on the duties of a pastor.
5. a letter to the people from their spiritual pastor.
6. a letter to the clergy or people of an ecclesiastical district from its bishop.
7. Also called pas'toral staff'. crosier (def. 1).