—n. 1. any of various instruments for writing or drawing with ink or a similar substance.
2. a detachable metal penpoint, filled by dipping or with a quill; nib.
3. such a penpoint with its penholder.
4. fountain pen.
5. ball-point pen.
6. the pen as the instrument of writing or authorship: The pen is mightier than the sword. 7. a person's style or quality of writing: He writes with a witty, incisive pen. 8. a writer: I leave this story to abler pens. 9. the profession of writing: a master of the pen. 10. Ornith. a. a quill.
b. a pinfeather.
11. something resembling or suggesting a feather or quill.
12. Zool.an internal, corneous or chitinous, feather-shaped structure in certain cephalopods, as the squid.
—v.t. 1. to write with or as with a pen; put down in writing: to pen an essay. 2. to draw with or as with a pen: to pen a sketch.
Pronunciation: (pen),[key] —n., v.,penned or pent, pen•ning.
—n. 1. a small enclosure for domestic animals.
2. animals so enclosed: We have a pen of twenty sheep. 3. an enclosure used for confinement or safekeeping: We have built several pens to hold our harvest of corn. 4. playpen.
5. See bull pen. 6. a dock having a protective concrete structure overhead, used to service and repair submarines.