Pronunciation: (pent'hous"),[key] —n., —pl.-hous•esPronunciation: (-hou"ziz).[key] 1. an apartment or dwelling on the roof of a building, usually set back from the outer walls.
2. any specially designed apartment on an upper floor, esp. the top floor, of a building.
3. a structure on a roof for housing elevator machinery, a water tank, etc.
4. Also called pent, pen•ticePronunciation: (pen'tis).[key]a shed with a sloping roof, or a sloping roof, projecting from a wall or the side of a building, as to shelter a door.
5. any rooflike shelter or overhanging part.
6. See shed roof. 7. Court Tennis.a corridor having a slanted roof and projecting from three walls of the court.