Pronunciation: (pur-kush'un),[key] —n. 1. the striking of one body against another with some sharpness; impact; blow.
2. Med.the striking or tapping of the surface of a part of the body for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes.
3. the striking of a musical instrument to produce tones.
4. Music. a. the section of an orchestra or band comprising the percussion instruments.
b. the percussion instruments themselves.
5. a sharp blow for detonating a percussion cap or the fuze of an artillery shell.
6. the striking of sound on the ear.
7. the act of percussing.