Pronunciation: (pī'ping),[key] —n. 1. pipes collectively; a system or network of pipes.
2. material formed into a pipe or pipes.
3. the act of a person or thing that pipes.
4. the sound of pipes.
5. a shrill sound.
6. the music of pipes.
7. a cordlike ornamentation made of icing, used on pastry.
8. a tubular band of ornamental material, sometimes containing a cord, used for trimming the edges and seams of clothing, upholstery, etc.
—adj. 1. characterized by the peaceful music of the pipe.
2. playing on a musical pipe.
3. that pipes.
4. emitting a shrill sound: a piping voice. 5. piping hot, (of food or drink) very hot.