Pronunciation: (plā'ur),[key] —n. 1. a person or thing that plays.
2. a person who takes part or is skilled in some game or sport.
3. a person who plays parts on the stage; an actor.
4. a performer on a musical instrument.
5. Informal.a participant, as in a conference or business deal.
6. a sound- or image-reproducing machine: a record player; a cassette player; a videodisc player. 7. a gambler.
8. Slang.a person engaged in illicit or illegal activity, esp. a pimp.
9. a mechanical device by which a musical instrument, as a player piano, is played automatically.
Pronunciation: (plā'ur),[key] —n. Gary, born 1935, South African golfer.