Pronunciation: (pu-zesh'un),[key] —n. 1. the act or fact of possessing.
2. the state of being possessed.
4. Law.actual holding or occupancy, either with or without rights of ownership.
5. a thing possessed: He packed all his possessions into one trunk. 6. possessions,property or wealth.
7. a territorial dominion of a state.
8. Sports. a. physical control of the ball or puck by a player or team: He didn't have full possession when he was tackled. b. the right of a team to put the ball into play: They had possession after the other team sank a free throw. 9. control over oneself, one's mind, etc.
10. domination, actuation, or obsession by a feeling, idea, etc.
11. the feeling or idea itself.