—v.t. 1. to ask, demand, or claim.
2. to claim or assume the existence or truth of, esp. as a basis for reasoning or arguing.
3. to assume without proof, or as self-evident; take for granted.
4. Math.,Logic.to assume as a postulate.
—n. 1. something taken as self-evident or assumed without proof as a basis for reasoning.
2. Math.,Logic.a proposition that requires no proof, being self-evident, or that is for a specific purpose assumed true, and that is used in the proof of other propositions; axiom.
3. a fundamental principle.
4. a necessary condition; prerequisite.