Pronunciation: (prins),[key] —n. 1. a nonreigning male member of a royal family.
2. Hist.a sovereign or monarch; king.
3. (in Great Britain) a son or grandson (if the child of a son) of a king or queen.
4. the English equivalent of any of various titles of nobility in other countries.
5. a holder of such a title.
6. the ruler of a small state, as one actually or nominally subordinate to a suzerain: Monaco is ruled by a prince. 7. a person or thing that is chief or preeminent in any class, group, etc.: a merchant prince. 8. a person possessing admirably fine and genial characteristics: He is a prince of a man.
Pronunciation: (prins),[key] —n. 1. Harold S., born 1928, U.S. stage director and producer.
2. a male given name.
(Italian, Il Principe),
a treatise on statecraft (1513) by Niccolò Machiavelli.