Pronunciation: (pru-gres'iv),[key] —adj. 1. favoring or advocating progress, change, improvement, or reform, as opposed to wishing to maintain things as they are, esp. in political matters: a progressive mayor. 2. making progress toward better conditions; employing or advocating more enlightened or liberal ideas, new or experimental methods, etc.: a progressive community. 3. characterized by such progress, or by continuous improvement.
4. (cap.) of or pertaining to any of the Progressive parties in politics.
5. going forward or onward; passing successively from one member of a series to the next; proceeding step by step.
6. noting or pertaining to a form of taxation in which the rate increases with certain increases in taxable income.
7. of or pertaining to progressive education: progressive schools. 8. Gram.noting a verb aspect or other verb category that indicates action or state going on at a temporal point of reference.
9. Med.continuously increasing in extent or severity, as a disease.
—n. 1. a person who is progressive or who favors progress or reform, esp. in political matters.
2. (cap.) a member of a Progressive party.
3. Gram. a. the progressive aspect.
b. a verb form or construction in the progressive, as are thinking in They are thinking about it.