Pronunciation: (pru-mō'tur),[key] —n. 1. a person or thing that promotes, furthers, or encourages.
2. a person who initiates or takes part in the organizing of a company, development of a project, etc.
3. a person who organizes and provides financial backing for a sporting event or entertainment.
4. Chem.any substance that in small amounts is capable of increasing the activity of a catalyst.
5. Also called collector.Metall.a water-repellent reagent enhancing the ability of certain ores to float so that they can be extracted by the flotation process.
6. Genetics. a. a site on a DNA molecule at which RNA polymerase binds and initiates transcription.
b. a gene sequence that activates transcription.
7. Obs.an informer.