—v.t. 1. to cause (an organism) to multiply by any process of natural reproduction from the parent stock.
2. to reproduce (itself, its kind, etc.), as an organism does.
3. to transmit (hereditary features or elements) to, or through, offspring.
4. to spread (a report, doctrine, practice, etc.) from person to person; disseminate.
5. to cause to increase in number or amount.
6. to create (an effect) at a distance, as by electromagnetic waves, compression waves, etc., traveling through space or a physical medium; transmit: to propagate sound.
—v.i. 1. to multiply by any process of natural reproduction, as organisms; breed.
2. to increase in extent, as a structural flaw: The crack will propagate only to this joint. 3. (of electromagnetic waves, compression waves, etc.) to travel through space or a physical medium.