—adj. 1. belonging to a proprietor.
2. being a proprietor; holding property: the proprietary class. 3. pertaining to property or ownership: proprietary wealth. 4. belonging or controlled as property.
5. manufactured and sold only by the owner of the patent, formula, brand name, or trademark associated with the product: proprietary medicine. 6. privately owned and operated for profit: proprietary hospitals.
—n. 1. an owner or proprietor.
2. a body of proprietors.
3. Amer. Hist.the grantee or owner, or one of the grantees or owners, of a proprietary colony.
5. something owned, esp. real estate.
6. a proprietary medicine.
7. Also called propri'etary school'. a school organized as a profit-making venture primarily to teach vocational skills or self-improvement techniques.